top of page

Te Karuwha

  • 23 hours ago
  • 1 min read

This site is central to the deep relationship between mana whenua and the Reverend Henry Williams, who arrived to Paihia in 1823 to lead the Church Missionary Society.


The waterfront road that runs parallel to Te Tii Beach is called Te Karawha Parade. In 1973, the Williams family donated a bell to Waitangi Marae, called Te Wiremu, which acknowledges the reciprocal relationship. 


As part of the 1990 commemoration of Te Tiriti o Waitangi where Ngapuhi performed their cheifly duty as host to Queen Ellizabeth, public funds were provided to rebuild Māori culture and heritage. Under the guidance of Tupi Puriri, the Marae Chairman, new carvings and tukutuku panels were installed at the rear wall of the whare tupuna. These depict ancient stories of waka navigators and voyagers who traversed the Pacific Ocean over a thousand years ago. One figure, however is pākeha. A carved pou represents the Reverend Henry Williams.


Williams was part of many historical moments, including the adoption of Te Kara, the first official flag of the United Tribes of Nu Tireni, in 1834. He was also the principal advisor who negotiated with the chiefs, encouraging them to sign He Whakaputanga 1835 and Te Tiriti O Waitangi 1840. Nicknamed Te Karuwha or Four Eyes, Williams was a friend to the Ngāpuhi leaders Hone Heke Pokai, Marupo, Te Haratua, Ana Hamu, Te Koki, Te Ruki Kawiti, Tamati Waka Nene and Patuone.

Comments


bottom of page